Sanny

Sanny

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America - Erik Larson I’m sorry but I can’t give this more than 2 stars.The premise for the story was a good one and I like dark reads but the longer I read, the less I liked the story.I felt like the characters weren’t properly developed. Maggie at first came off rather likeable but the more I knew about her, the more I was annoyed about her immaturity and obsessiveness. I can’t make up my mind about Clay: yes, he was sick but really, why would he refuse to take his meds? I don’t know anyone with either of these disorders but it’s hard for me to believe that someone would so adamantly refuse the meds because love works better. That’s bullshit, love doesn’t help shit to cure a mental health issue. His excuses were equally annoying. Boy if they make you tired, see a doctor and he’ll adjust your meds.I simply couldn’t find a connection to either of them and had equal problems with Rachel and Danny. It’s hard for me to believe these three are best friends, all they seem to do is snap at each other. Yes, friends fight but snapping at each other twenty times a day over various stupid things - that’s no friendship in my eyes. And I’m sorry to say, but I didn’t find any chemistry between Clay and Maggie or Rachel and Danny.People complain about Clay’s jealousy and rage, but really, was Maggie so much better? She was irrationally jealous as well and without the excuse of having a mental illness. She is just as much obsessed but most people don’t seem bothered by this. For me, neither of them acts in a healthy way. This book tells a story about a dysfunctional relationship in which both partner are irrational, immature and obsessive – they create so much unnecessary drama that I wanted to slap them both upside the head and tell them to shut the f*ck up.One more thing, the nonchalance over the unprotected sex was quite disconcerting. “Oh, let’s do the math and yep, all is well.” It’s not important that sperm lives between 5-7 days and she could still become pregnant or that he actually had sex before her and was using drugs (so there could’ve easily been unprotected sex), so STD should also be an issue, but nope. Nothing.In the end, I only liked two characters: Maggie’s parents. In my opinion, they were the only characters reasonably portrayed in this book. The writing was okay, but felt stilted, unreal and woodenly at times, although that might have to do with my not getting into the characters. The author tells you the story, she doesn’t show it to you.So there you go, 1 star for the premise of the story and 1 star for the beginning and end although Clay’s letter had me rolling my eyes at least 5 times. With my lack of connection to the characters and not being able to get into the story at all, I doubt I will read the second installment.