Sanny

Sanny

Captive in the Dark: The Dark Duet

Captive in the Dark  - C.J. Roberts Imagine you are a little kid in a foreign country. Imagine you don't understand a word the people there say. Imagine you are always hungry. Imagine you have to fight other kids for food. Imagine you have to grow up in a brothel. Imagine nobody thinks you are worth anything.What does that leave you with?Revenge. For 12 years Caleb is driven by revenge and I can't say that I don't understand that thirst. I don't want to like Caleb. I want to hate him because he kidnaps Livvie and makes her live through her worst nightmares. By the end of the book you won't hate Caleb.This book will take you to the darkest places of your mind. If you are looking for a mindfuck, this is where you'll find it.It was harsh. It was disturbing. It was heartbreaking. It twisted reality into unspeakable things. It made you suffer along with Livvie and it forced Caleb into your heart, even though you don't want him there.Caleb can't understand his own emotions because all he lived for was revenge. As a reader you understand that and then you read about his past and your heart will break for this boy.I found myself hoping, destroyed and heart broken. I wanted to scream and cry. I wanted to punch Caleb. I wanted to hug Caleb. I wanted to free Livvie and tell her that it isn't her damn fault.There are three quotes that completely capture this book:1) Livvie's POV: "He was my tormentor and my solace; the creator of the dark and the light within."2) Caleb's POV: "Yes, he was a beautiful animal. Another slap and Kéleb forced himself to look away, but not toward the ground, never that. [...] But the mirror... the mirror forced him to see what he tried to pretend wasn't real. He wasn't free. Behind the Boy in the glass, Narweh smiled at him. Kéleb look at the ground."3) Livvie's POV: "I knew once I stepped out of the shower, I would begin the hardest journey of my life. I would have to save myself. I would have to be strong and smart and brave. I would have to let the other side of me, the ruthless side, take over and this me... would cease to exist."At this points words fail me to express myself but know this, the book held me capivated.So why only 4 stars? Because this apparantly is listed as BDSM erotica and I simply can't agree with that. I struggled a lot with the consent part of this book and I still have't made my mind up. I go back and forward and I went a whole night without sleep - still I didn't come to a conlcusion. SHould that change in the future, I'll let you know ;-)Thank you, C.J. Roberts for tackling a taboo topic and writing such a rollercoaster of emotions that I didn't know what hit me.