Sanny

Sanny

Captive in the Dark: The Dark Duet

Captive in the Dark  - C.J. Roberts I just finished this book and words still fail me.It's rare that a series hits me with so many true emotions and struggles that I can't tell left from right but the Dark Duet managed just that.While I struggled a lot with the not existing consent in book 1, this issue didn't arise as often in book 2, but make no mistake, the issue is still there every now and then.This book is one of the biggest mindfucks I've ever read and I'm still trying to process the twists and turns. I won't say much about the plot, but it surprised the hell outta me; so much in fact that I was chanting for several minutes: "No, no, no,..." Thank god nobody was around to witness that or I surely would've been accused for going completely batshit crazy for talking to inanimate objects.My view of Caleb didn't change much. I still think he's a bastard, I still want to punch him and I still want to hug him. My heart broke more than once for him. There worst probaly at the beginning of the flashback in Chapter 24: [spoilers removed]It didn't matter to me anymore what happened before, it wasn't forgotten but I felt for him as the life he knew crumbled. His reaction was so shocking that my heart still hasn't stopped aching for him. For me, Caleb's POV is always the hardest to read, I always feel strongest about this book when I see things through his eyes and the domino effect that unravels throughout the book is terrifying. I can't help but admire Olivia. She's brave and a bit fucked up, but who wouldn't be? She would do anything for Caleb and if it happened because of the kidnapping or not, it doesn't change a damn thing. She still loves him, Stockholm's or not.And let's not forget Agent Mathew Reeds. Introducing him was smooth, smart and very unexpected. He gave a voice to the readers who found themselves conflicted over the erotic parts of the story and C. J. Roberts is a genius for weaving his character into the story.Again the reader was confronted with harsh and disturbing scenes and had to live through a wide array of emotions - anger, pain, betrayal, disgust, confusion, lust, passion and love.I already know that this series will follow me for a long time and it'll refuse to leave me alone - I'm glad about it. At this point I can only tip my imaginary hat, a captivating story.