Sanny

Sanny

Forbidden

Forbidden - Tabitha Suzuma First things first, as an only child, I probably will never be able to grasp the bond between siblings with all it facets.There will be many people who disagree with my opinions but I'm willing to face that. So here we go...If I fall in love with my best friend and he returns these feelings and together we decide to consumate a relationship, nobody would care. Nobody would question if we can be in love, if we can have sex and if our relationship is disgusting. No law in the world could punish me for loving my best friend who is a year older than me.The law wouldn't punish me if I fell in love with a woman instead. No law would punish me if the age gap accounts for 30, 40 or 50 years. Because I'm an adult and everything happenes on a consensual basis. I'm free to love whom I want with the exception of people under 18 or under my care. Or any person, I'm related to. I honestly can't imagine to fall in love with anyone that I'm related to. But what if it happened? Could I change it? Ignore it? Get over it?When Lochan and Maya fall in love all these things happen. They consider themselves not only siblings, but also best friends. They have responsibilities way beyond their age and that's what makes them more mature than most teenagers their age. They take over the care for their three younger siblings and run a household - yet they aren't given the right to love whomever they want. Does their situation make these feelings happen? Do they fall in love because they take over the roles of the parents? I'm no psychologist and I don't know.Is it right for the law to tell people whom they can love when they don't harm anyone with their actions?In some countries incest is considered a breach of law. And then there are countries in which incest is "allowed" except for having sex. In others they aren't allowed but there are no consequences. Then there are the countries who allow them and help these people: make them do gene tests to see if they could ever have children and if not, what other options there are - They TALK to them and don't condemn for being immoral, the try to help with a hard situation for everyone involved. The countries which laws are against incest claim that these laws are in place for a healthy population (as incest brings a higher risk of sickness should they have children) and that children are supposed to grow up in a non-sexual environment. So how come that when siblings meet after years and consumate a relationship (with protection nonetheless) they still are breaking the law? These people are no children, the relationship is consensual and they don't want kids - so how exactly are the breaking the law?I don't know but I know that it's considered as breaking the law.Incest is considered immoral and not talked about in polite surroundings. But it happens and this book shows us how society ruins two teenagers who could have had a bright future.Had you given this book to the old Egyptians, they would've laughed in your face - sibling marriages were not uncommon back then.The bible is a prime example for incest. If the children of Adam and Eve wouldn't have consumed a relationship, then according to the bible there would be no population. Yet the religions go on with their holier than thou act and condem people for these feelings.It's laughable what society does to us. It imposes morals and standards that ruin other people's lives. I'm not saying that all morals are wrong but I'm saying that some of them are highly questionable.All throughout the book, Louchan and Maya are conscious of the relation between them and how other people will view them for their love.But they can't stay away from each other, what they feel is natural for them and that's why it hurts so much. Allthroughout the book I was just as conscious of their brother-sister-relationship as the protagonists themselves and just like them, I perceived the the transitions to a loving couple as natural.You see these two teenagers struggle with themselves and their surroundings but their love never dimishes and that is what makes it beyond tragic.Love isn't rational. Love isn't a conscious choice. Love can't be controlled. You can't change who you love, but can choose how to act on it. But should you have to?No human on this earth has the right to deny anyone a consensual relationship between two adults.Today many things are acceptable that weren't a few decades ago, for example homosexual relationships.When you take a closer look at BDSM, you will find many "Daddy/Babygirl" relationships. You will find people aroused by sexual interactions between family members, be it mother and son, father and daughter, brother and sister. Within BDSM there aren't many taboos and people often aren't judged for what they like. I realize that there's a huge difference: within BDSM they pretend. It's not real. And still it shows us that it does happen, that people think about it, contemplate it - more often than the three or four cases that are public knowledge.This isn't a topic to be romaticized and that's not what the author does. She writes about the pain, the struggle, the harsh truth the protagonists must face by outside observers and the stolen moments of happiness. It's a dark book with only a few rays of sunshine (and even those are often overshadowed). She left my emotions so raw that I'm still slightly shaking.It takes so much guts to write a book like this and thatfore the author deserves every bit of respect I can give. This book changed things and I hope that, after reading this book, people will think twice before they judge someone.Last but not least, I don't want to advertise incest here, but I think some of these questions should be thought about and contemplated.