Sanny

Sanny

Crush. Candy. Corpse. - Sylvia McNicoll This was definitely a hard topic to read about, at least for me. Alzheimer’s is one of the diseases that I fear most, but something in the blurb caught my interest. My feelings are still mixed after finishing the book but maybe that just reflects my unease about Alzheimer’s itself.

I liked the way this was written as there was present, future and journal style but sometimes it was really hard to notice the transition between these 3 styles and I had to go back and re-read the passage – this could’ve been easily fixed with simple format changes, e.g. italics or different fonts.

The concept of the story was great, even if the execution sometimes lacked, for example: the courtroom scenes often were a bit dull in my eyes. This would have been a great opportunity to get more into Sunny’s feelings, to display her character growth but that didn’t happen very often.

Sunny came of as extremely shallow and while I realize that some of it was simply her way of coping, it still left a bitter aftertaste. The best example would be her relationship with her Boyfriend Donovan. He was just as shallow and even though she actually liked Cole better, she stayed with Donovan because he was better looking and stole the occasional thing or two for her. While she showed some growth towards the end, it came too late for me. Still she did great things for the Alzheimer’s patients but there were no palpable emotions there.

Cole was a sweet guy and I would’ve loved to get into his head for a bit – I can only imagine the emotions that warred in him. I definitely can see why everyone in the book took a liking to him, he was the sweet guy that was always there to help.

In the end, it was the Alzheimer’s patients that made me care the most. You don’t want to get attached to them because you realize that they suffer from a disease which can’t be calculated but I couldn’t stop myself from caring.

This book left me with a heavy feeling and many thoughts. So despite not always caring for the main character or the way the story was told, this book still deserves 3 solid stars.

ARC provided by James Lorimer & Company via NetGalley.